Electric scooters are one of the innovative, modern, and cheapest medium of commuting. As it operates on electric power, you don't require paying for the fuel.
The tiny vehicle can let you move at a faster speed when the roads are stuck by traffic jams. More so, it doesn’t require a lot of maintenance; once you buy it, you can enjoy a hassle-free performance for a long time.
How long does an electric scooter last? If you are interested in obtaining an electric scooter, then the question may hit your mind. In today's article, we will try to explain the question.
The Average Lifetime of an Electric Scooter?
The lifespan of an electric scooter depends on a lot of things. Firstly, there are a lot of models available in the market from various manufacturers.
Not all of them are well-made, nor do they include quality components. That affects the lifespan of the electric scooter enormously.
Usually, a low-priced electric scooter can start showing issues after a year. However, scooters that are manufactured from the top brands can offer you a long-term performance of up to two or three years.
Amongst different components of a scooter, the battery has more effects on the lifetime of an electric scooter. The scooters usually equip lithium-ion batteries or lead-acid batteries (SLA). Some of them can also include a nickel-metal hybrid battery (NiMH).
The lithium-ion batteries are mostly used as they are compact and lightweight when compared with the other types. They also offer long-lasting performance when compared with the other models.
If the electric scooter arrives with a quality lithium battery and other quality parts, then it can last up to 5 years. They also require minimal maintenance. On the other hand, the SLA and NiMH battery is prominent in size when compared to lithium batteries. They also require frequent maintenance for longevity.
Tips to Enjoy a Long-term Performance from the Electric Scooter
Like other vehicles, the electric scooter can get affected by the outdoor environment, which can spin out its lifespan. That is why it is essential to take regular maintenance of the vehicle.
Fortunately, it doesn't take a lot of time and energy to maintain your electric scooter. Here are some tips that can assist you to prolong the lifespan of an electric scooter.
- As we said earlier, almost all the electric scooter arrives with a lithium-ion battery. Though they don't require a lot of maintenance, you should follow some precautions. The battery should be kept away from direct exposure to temperature and water. They are sensitive to heat and water. Those ingredients can lower the lifespan of the vehicle.
- Dust and dirt can cause performance drops on electric devices. As the scooters will be used in outdoor for a long time, it will be exposed to dust and dirt. It is vital to get rid of the dirt and dust regularly after every ride. If you don't manage time to clean on every day, do it weekly.
- Lubricate all the moving parts of the scooter, including wheels, handlebar, steering, etc. It would be best if you lubricate them at least once every three months. However, depending on the riding condition, you may require to do it faster.
- It's essential to store the scooter in the right place. As we said earlier, the water and extreme temperature are not suitable for the scooter. Choose a site that is not wet and exposed to direct sunlight for the usual storage.
- One common issue about the scooter is its nuts and screws loosen during the rides. That is why it is essential to tighten the nuts and bolts after a time frame. Especially if you are riding on the bumpy or unpaved roads, it is crucial for you. For such road conditions, check the state of the nuts and bolts regularly. If you ride in paved roads, then you should tighten the nuts and bolts every month.
- Try to carry as less weight as you can. Carrying additional weight will require extra battery power, and the range will be shortened. More so, taking extra weights on a regular basis will also cause the lifespan of the scooter.
- Don't leave the battery inside the scooter for a long time. It will affect the lifespan of the battery severely. Remove the cells and store them in a proper place if you are going to take a break from the scooter.
Parts of a Scooter that can be changed
One impressive thing about the scooter is almost all the parts of the vehicle be replaced except the frame. So, if the parts of the scooter start to worn out, you can simply change them to keep using the scooter. Below, we described some parts of the scooter that can be replaced.
Battery: Generally, the scooter batteries are removable and replaceable. They can be easily found in any scooter shop. As the scooter brands manufacture the cells, they can offer you the same performance as the previous one.
Tires: Amongst all the different parts of a scooter, the tires are more prone to damage. Especially if you ride in the bumpy or off-roads frequently, then they can wear out quickly. Replacement tires of the scooters are also available. Make sure to choose the correct version of the tire as per the scooter model while purchasing.
The rear fender of the scooter can also wear out with times. Though you can ride the scooter without the rear bumper, it is essential to prevent the dust and muds from the roads from splitting on you. More so, it prevents your leg from touching the rear wheel during a ride. Most of the well-known brands of the scooter made the rear fender available separately.